Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I just had my worst ever day in barker. I took 4e1 today, it was so horrible. Before the lesson, I told myself that I would take it upon myself to teach them how to be real acs boys, and how to live up to the standards set on them by generations of previous batches. Before the period started, 3 guys got into a fight. I was not there when the fight started. Violence doesnt solve any problems, but when your IQ is lower than your age, you kinda wont understand that.

It was the period after recess, and as usual 4e1 spent their recess playing soccer at the futsal court. Hence, many of them were had their shirts unbuttoned and their pants rolled up like bermudas, classic scene from gangster student movie huh? After repeated attempts at making a student correct his attire, I put his name down for DC. Apparently this was a source of discomfort for him and his gang. Heres where I made my mistake, I put down another guys name for DC for laughing in a disruptive and jeering manner. Presumably at how I had to resort to using DC to deal with them. He got angry, they started being really rude to me. I could have said a million f words, but I tried my best to control myself. Then I lost it, I called them a bunch of useless cockups. Again, they were really offended by this. Apparently they were bothered by the fact that this was the kind of opinion the rest of the school(and public) had of them. They got even more rude and I more pissed off. I decided that I could not handle this class, I called for help. Mr Lau had always told me before he gave me a normal acad or lousy express class to teach that I could call if I couldnt handle them. But Mr Lau was absent today, so I called Mr Glenn Wong who then called Mr Timothy Wong.

He came up and sorted it out. I spent a long time cooling off outside the class while he was with them inside, I hadnt been so angry ever before. It was real bad. Mr Wong was pretty professional in handling it though, all he did was sort out the initial mess. He allowed me to choose what I wanted to do myself. He didnt ask me to take ALL the guys names I put in the CMR off, he didnt ask me to apologise to them for calling them useless.

Gosh, it was so bad. My entire day is now spoilt. I mean like I deeply respect Mr Ng for everything he has done for the school, and I truly believe in his cause. That some of the boys from the school can really be saved. But sometimes, I just think that maybe, we shouldnt have a normal stream. These are the ones that have little respect for teachers, little regard for the things they learn in school, and a huge impact on the reputation that generations of previous ACS boys have built up (or has helped to enhance the notoriety that previous batches of barker boys similar to them have earned for themselves?)

I know that deep down, these guys are pretty nice, because I had a pretty good chat with them after the whole incident. 4D1 is another normal class that I teach all the time, and I have a pretty good relationship with them. Sometimes I even look forward to my lessons with them. I suppose Ill have to learn how to deal with these guys. I learnt a very important lesson about teaching these guys today. I hope that one day these boys will learn how to be proper ACS boys, and then they will be able to grow to be men of significance and stature in society today, like the many many generations of boys before us have. And then they will be ready to carry the school name well (But sadly, I doubt it).

I hope my bad day ends here. Im going to clarke quay to watch the singapore and malaysia match with some friends later, hopefully I can forget all this shit. Haha

No comments: